March 25, 2008, the Departments of Homeland Security and of State issued the final rulemaking
concerning the requirements of passports for land and sea border crossings under the Western
Hemisphere Travel Initiative. After years of development following 9/11, this ruling is the end of
the process and can be considered FINAL when helping your clients ensure they have the proper
identification when traveling.

June 1, 2009, the following rules take effect for cruise passengers:

U.S. citizens on cruise voyages that begin and end at the same U.S. port (closed-loop itineraries)
must show proof of citizenship* and government-issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license). A
passport will not be required for passengers that fall into this category.

*Documents include: Original or certified copy of birth certificate; Naturalization papers; Consular
Report of Birth Abroad issued by Department of State

All other passengers and/or itineraries (such as cruises which begin in one U.S. port and return to a
different U.S. port or any cruise that begins or ends in a foreign port) will require a passport or
other recognized document. For a list of accepted documents, see

The good news for a majority of cruise passengers – American citizens that leave and return on
their cruise from the same U.S. port – is that the travel document requirements will remain largely
unchanged from how the industry is operating today.

CLIA continues to encourage travelers to obtain passports to allow the broadest travel
opportunities. Your clients can visit to obtain information on how to apply at
more than 9,000 passport acceptance facilities in the United States.
From Carnival:

Birth Certificate Information

 An original Birth Certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics. The original can
be laminated.
 A legible, quality copy (Xerox copy)of an original birth certificate issued by the Department of Health
and Vital Statistics. The copy does not need to be notarized or certified. The copy can be laminated.
 Birth Certificate Card
 A Consular report of Birth Abroad


Photo Identification

A non-expired Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The
following are acceptable:

 Driver’s License
 Driver’s Permit
 School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)
 Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

But don't forget...Carnival highly recommends that all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least
six months beyond completion of travel). This will enhance the debarkation experience as delays may
be expected upon return to the United States for those without one. Additionally, this will enable
guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at a foreign port should they miss their scheduled port of
embarkation and allow guests that must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an
emergency to fly back to the U.S without significant delays and complications.